One of my favorite things to make when I have a lot of leftover protein macros to meet is PROTEIN FLUFF! Protein fluff has similar ingredients to a protein shake but is much more voluminous and filling. And when you are constantly STARVING despite eating over 2000 calories a day, you need to eat volume foods in order to help you stay full.
How is protein fluff different than a shake? Well the answer comes down to one little ingredient: xanthan gum! Xanthan gum is a powder that is used to add thickness and volume. It is sometimes used in shakes and drinks like frappucinos to keep them from separating. Xanthan gum is also gluten-free so you can use it if you are sensitive to gluten. Xanthan gum can be purchased at most grocery stores in the health or baking areas.
So now that we know what protein fluff is, let’s get down to how to make it!
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder (I used Cellucor Peanut Butter Marshmallow)
- 1 Tbsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 Cup Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 Cup of Ice
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend for several minutes. You will notice at first the fluff seems like a normal shake, but it will slowly start to thicken and expand.
- Top with toppings of choice! I used peanut butter, a few dark chocolate chips and 2 mini oreos that I crushed up.
This recipe is highly customizable! You can change it up depending on the flavor of protein you use and the toppings you add. Sometimes I use cake batter protein with sprinkles, or mint chocolate protein with chocolate cookies and whipped cream!
If you would like to try some of the delicious protein flavors Cellucor offers such as Corfetti, Peanut Butter Marshmallow, Mint Chocolate, Red Velvet in your protein fluff, I still have a coupon code!